The Anna Louise Inn is celebrating our 105th Anniversary — that’s 105 years of providing safe and affordable housing for women in Cincinnati!
The Anna Louise Inn grew up as part of Cincinnati Union Bethel, which was founded on a riverboat in 1830 to provide religious services to crewmen along the Ohio River. As the years passed and Cincinnati grew, the demand for safe housing for single women grew as women entered the workforce and moved to the city.
In 1909, Cincinnati philanthropists Mr. and Mrs. Charles P. Taft donated the site on the corner of Third and Lytle Streets and helped provide funding to erect a five-story building to accommodate 120 women in single rooms. The Anna Louise Inn, named after the Taft’s daughter, Anna Louise Taft Semple, opened on Memorial Day, 1909. The Inn was filled to occupancy on its first day and soon The Tafts were helping again, by donating property along Pike Street for an addition to the Inn in 1920.
The Anna Louise Inn has always been more than just housing, it’s been a place to call home. Our photo archive shows lively activities of all kinds for the residents throughout the years. They had bowling teams, social dances, plays with costumes, coffee breaks and trips to the countryside.
Today, the Anna Louise Inn is just as vital a resource to the Cincinnati Community as ever. In 2013 92% of women at the Anna Louise Inn lived on incomes below the 2013 poverty line of $11,490. Residents pay about half the market rate in rent and in exchange receive not only a safe and affordable place to stay, but a community that they call home.
Now the Anna Louise Inn is about to begin a new phase in our existence. Our new residence is being built on Reading Road and will be ready to open in July 2015. We look forward to all of the new opportunities, comforts and improvements that will be part of the new Inn.
Our mission remains focused on providing safe, affordable housing for women who need it and we know that the new Anna Louise Inn will do that for another 105 years!